Large scale goals
- What do you want to achieve? Not just today, or over the next month, but in life. You’ll probably want to achieve a few different large scale goals in different areas – perhaps in your family, or through your work, or in your community. Try to get specific and record what you’re working towards. Are any of your goals in tension or conflict with each other?
- Are there examples of people in the Bible who had similar goals to you? How did God relate with them about that? What made them more or less successful?
- How do you relate to God about your goals?
- What will make it difficult to achieve your goals?
- Are there people who will oppose your progress, either maliciously or just in competition?
- Can you anticipate how they will oppose you?
- How do you relate with God about that?
- What natural challenges do your goals face? Perhaps that will include things like finance, or communication, or geography.
- What can you do to overcome those obstacles? How do you relate with God about that?
- Are there ways in which you make achieving goals more difficult yourself? That could be because you have limits, but perhaps you’re also pursuing conflicting goals. Ask God for wisdom to know what to focus on, and how to make and live with hard choices.
- What resources do you have available to achieve your goal?
- Do you understand how to best use those resources towards your goal?
- Are there people who can help you understand that better?
- How do you relate to God about those resources?
- What abilities do you have which could work towards the goal? How could those be developed? Do you need help from other people to grow? Do you ask God to help you grow in those specific abilities?
- Are there other people helping you? How can you encourage them, or help them grow in their strengths? Do you pray for those people?
Whenever you read the Bible you can look for ways in which God is working towards largescale goals. As you notice those, ask how he works with people to achieve those, and how he deals with opposition.
What goal was Joshua trying to achieve? How did he relate with God about that? What help did he need? How did he relate to the Israelites about that? What opposition did he face? How did he address and overcome that opposition?
What do you think Jesus was trying to achieve with Jerusalem and the Judeans? How did he relate with God about that? What role did his disciples play in that? How did he help them to become more effective in that role? What opposition did he face? How did he address that?
What do you think Paul was trying to achieve? How did he relate with God about that? Which groups and individuals helped him? How did Paul help them grow? How did Paul pray for them?